Propane Explosion in Car Injures Orlando Couple
An Orlando couple is lucky to be alive after they were injured in a propane explosion inside their vehicle.
After attending a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds in Orlando, the pair loaded their grill and propane tank into their Kia Sorento crossover SUV and headed for home. Unfortunately, the gas tank was still turned on and connected to the grill.
The grill was also turned on and so the car filled with gas fumes. When the woman tried to light a cigarette, the propane exploded, blowing out the side of the Kia and causing the driver to crash into a pole. The couple received non-life-threatening burns and was taken to a local hospital.How To Transport Propane Safely
It's important to take the right safety precautions when transporting propane. If handled incorrectly, even a small amount of propane can cause a serious explosion as happened in Orlando.
- Never put a propane tank in your car when it is connected to a gas grill. Disconnect the tank from the grill.
- Make sure the tank is turned off tightly with the dust cap on.
- The gas grill controls must be in the "off" position.
- Keep the propane tank vertical - don't allow it to roll around in the trunk. Secure the tank with a rope, not a metal chain that can produce a spark.
- When closing the trunk of your car, lower it slowly so it doesn't slam against the tank or the valve on top.
- Make sure there are no sharp objects near the tank.
- Keep your window open.
- Don't leave the tank in your car for long periods, as propane is sensitive to heat. Don't park in the sun. Leave picking up or filling the tank as your last task before heading home.
- When storing your grill, keep it outdoors and out of direct sunlight.
Trust your nose! If you smell gas, leave the vehicle or area immediately and call 911.
Importantly, never smoke or light any type of flame while transporting propane.We Can Help If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident
If you or a family member has been injured in a car accident or has been injured by any other type of personal injury, please contact the Law Offices of Diana Santa Maria, P.A. immediately. Our experienced attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorneys Diana Santa Maria and Laura D. Dolin, personal injury attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at (954) 434-1077 or contact us via the website.