Motorcycle Accidents Often Result in Catastrophic Injuries and Costs
Motorcyclists love our wonderful Florida weather as they can bike our roads almost every day.
Biking can be efficient transportation as well as fun and adventurous, but riding a motorcycle is not without risk. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports some serious statistics:
- 4,668 motorcyclists were killed in motorcycle accidents in the U.S. in 2013 with more than 88,000 injured.
- A huge 25% of bikers involved in crashes with fatalities did not have valid motorcycle licenses.
- DUI continues to be a problem. Of the motorcycle drivers killed in accidents, 28% had a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher.
- Excessive speed is a big issue - 34% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding, compared to 21% of passenger car drivers killed in accidents.
Here's the worst fact of all: Florida had 467 motorcycle deaths in the U.S. in 2013 - more than any other state - even though our state is ranked 4th in population.Motorcycle Accidents Can Cause Devastating Injuries
Picture the average motorcycle next to your car, or a pickup truck or tractor-trailer. Accidents involving motorcycles are especially dangerous to those on the bike because there is little protection for its riders and other vehicles are larger and heavier. Common injuries from motorcycle accidents are:
- Broken bones
- Facial fractures
- Road rash or abrasions
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Temporary or permanent disability from neck and back damage
The costs to recover from these serious injuries reach far beyond medical care and can extend over a lifetime. Rehabilitation, physical therapy, home and vehicle modifications and lifestyle changes can run into millions of dollars. And this doesn't even include lost wages!
Our experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Diana Santa Maria, P.A. would like to meet with you to discuss possible compensation for injuries you've experienced if you have been in a motorcycle accident.Motorcycle Safety Tips
- Wear safety gear especially a helmet. Your gear is the only thing between you and the road in the event of an accident.
- Stay visible by keeping headlights on and wearing clothing with reflective material.
- Don't speed.
- Drive cautiously and don't weave through traffic.
- Never drive your bike when you've been drinking.
- Take a motorcycle safety course to keep your skills up to speed.
MOTORISTS: Respect motorcycles! They have the same rights as you do on our roads. Watch for motorcycles and give them plenty of room.
Read more about motorcycle safety at the Florida Department of Transportation Traffic Safety Office RideSmartFlorida.com website. And check out the best routes for motorcycles in our state at BestBikingRoads.com.We'll Fight for your Car or Motorcycle Accident Case
If you or a family member has been harmed in a motorcycle accident, car accident or any type of personal injury, contact the Law Offices of Diana Santa Maria, P.A. immediately. Our experienced attorneys have the right expertise to fight for the compensation you deserve. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorneys Diana Santa Maria and Laura D. Dolin, personal injury attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at (954) 434-1077 or contact us via the website.