Hit & Run Car Accidents
But sometimes a driver will leave the scene of an accident without submitting identification to other drivers or the police. This is a hit and run accident and they are all too common. In fact, there were more than 92,000 hit and run crashes in Florida in 2015! (Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles) Including pedestrians, these accidents resulted in 186 fatalities and more than 19,000 injuries. Many times the driver will leave the scene to avoid operating under the influence of alcohol or drug charges.
Driver Responsibility in Car Accidents
Florida law requires that a driver involved in an accident on private or public property that results in injury or death must:
- Stop immediately.
- Give information to others involved in the accident as well as police: name, address, insurance information, car registration number.
- Give reasonable assistance to anyone injured in the crash such as calling 911 to request an ambulance.
Failure to comply - in other words, to hit and run - is a felony. If convicted, a driver may have their license revoked for 3 or more years and can even be sent to prison for a minimum sentence of 4 years.
What To Do if You Are the Victim of a Hit and Run Accident
Any accident is stressful and can be hectic, but try to stay calm if you are involved in an auto accident where the other driver has left the scene. The most important thing to do is get medical treatment as soon as possible for you and any other victims.
Try to gather as much information as you can for your insurance company and the police report:
- Describe as many details about the car that hit you as you can: make, model, condition, color, license plate number and state
- Time and location of accident as well as weather and road conditions
- Take photos of the accident scene and your car
- If possible, gather witness names and contact information
One last piece of advice - never chase a car that you suspect of having been involved. You don't want to run into any retaliation scenarios.Contact Us for Legal Help with All Types of Accident Cases
Attorneys Diana Santa Maria and Laura D. Dolin, personal injury attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, have the right experience to get you full compensation for injuries suffered in a hit and run accident or any other personal injury or medical malpractice case. Call us at for a complimentary consultation at (954) 434-1077 or contact us via the website. The Law Offices of Diana Santa Maria, P.A. will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.